FREMANTLE has pulled out of the race for Melbourne forward Jesse Hogan.
The Dockers were unwilling to meet the Demons’ asking price for the star forward and announced on Friday they had withdrawn their interest in Hogan as a result.
“We have been undertaking a due diligence process as part of a possible trade to secure Jesse Hogan,” Dockers football manager Peter Bell said.
“As part of that process, we have had discussions with Jesse, the player’s management and Melbourne.
“While discussions were proceeding it became clear that what Melbourne would be seeking for a trade would not be possible for our club to meet.
“As such, we have informed Melbourne and Jesse’s management that we will not be continuing further with the due diligence process.”
Melbourne responded to Fremantle’s statement on Friday afternoon, confirming Hogan had been keen to explore a trade west.
Mahoney said it had previously been established that if an appropriate deal was not secured, Hogan would remain a Melbourne player.
“At the end of the season, Jesse expressed his interest to explore other opportunities, and to return to Perth and play for Fremantle. We believe our offer was reasonable given Jesse’s record as a 71-game player,” Melbourne’s general manager of football operations Josh Mahoney told Melbourne Media.
“Jesse has been with us since he was 17 and has gone through some well-documented personal issues, particularly in the last two years, so we were comfortable to support his request.
“It was made clear to Jesse that if we were unable to complete an appropriate deal for both clubs, he will remain a Melbourne player.
“Both us, and Jesse, were happy with this.”
Hogan missed the final stages of the season with a foot injury.
“Jesse was a dominant player, prior to his foot injury late in the year,” Mahoney said.
“We look forward to him continuing his rehab and performing again for us next year.”